.

.

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Day 6 - Chicago Art Institute

 Today we went to the Chicago Art Institute. This is probably one of my favorite places on Earth. I've never been to Europe, so one day, when I go, I'm sure I'll add to my list. But for now, I love the Chicago Art Institute. I could spend an entire day here and probably be ready for more then next day. Sadly, when you come to a place like this with three little kids, spending any time here is a gigantic task. We had to wait in a really long line to get in, and it was raining outside. So the kids were already going a bit crazy. Then once we got in and they saw what it was like and how quiet it was, Henry turned into Mr. Hyde. Seriously. The kid went from cute to grouch in like two seconds. He was so angry to be there and refused to enjoy one tiny bit or smile for one tiny photo. Good times. Thankfully, we were able to get Lucy to sleep and Jonah tried to enjoy himself. So we were able to roam around and at least see my favorite paintings and some of the other things we couldn't wait to see again. Thankfully, Dan and I have been here two times before but we were still sad the kids were so grumpy.

 My absolute favorite painting ever. And it's huge. The photos don't do it justice in any way. When you get up close, you can see each individual brush stroke, or dot. It is simply amazing.

 Jonah posing with a Monet painting. It was beautiful. They had a large collection of his water lily paintings and each one was incredibly. Look how big it is compared to Jonah!

 This photo sums up Henry for the day. I threatened him. I pleaded with him. I'm ashamed to say, I even tried to bribe him. And this is the photo that I got. Even surrounded by all the knights and armor and cool stuff, he was Oscar the Grouch. He needed a trash can. Seriously. Look at his face. I don't think he could have tried any harder to show his displeasure.

 Jonah enjoyed the armor and knights.

 American Gothic. It was so cool to see it in person.  We saw a lot of other famous paintings. Even the paintings and sculptures from artists we didn't know were really cool. They also had a large display of sculptures and art from the Roman Empire and Egyptian ruins. Such a neat place. If I lived in Chicago, I'd want to go here every weekend!

Lucy looking quite spiffy for her art outing. She was probably the most well behaved out of the three!

No comments:

Post a Comment